The Township-wide community engagement survey is now open! Submit your response to the online version of the survey.  We look forward to hearing from you!

FAQ Topic: Safety Services

How do I sign up for Smart911?

Create a Smart911 Safety Profile and once you have signed up, first responders will be aware of important information you have provided that will help Police, Fire, and EMS locate and help you in an emergency.

What is Smart911?

Smart911 is a service that allows residents to create a free Safety Profile for their household that includes any information they want 9-1-1 and first responders to have in the event of an emergency. With Smart911, you can provide 9-1-1 call takers and first responders critical information you want them to know in any kind … Continued

Do I have to register my business with the Township?

According to Township Ordinance 443, applications for new business registrations shall be made to the Township prior to the commencement of business. Complete the Township of Kalamazoo Business Registration Form and submit it to Fire Marshal Todd Kowalski via email ( or mail to 1720 Riverview Drive, Kalamazoo, MI 49004.

How do I apply to be a police officer?

You can apply to be a police officer by printing out the application and returning it to the Township of Kalamazoo Police Department at 1720 Riverview Drive.  You may also apply online, print out an application, or request more information about the hiring process.

What is the Face Mask Policy at the Township?

Effective April 4, 2022,  all persons entering Kalamazoo Charter Township Building do not have to wear a mask. Kalamazoo Township supports adjusting mask recommendations as we cycle through periods of recovery. Masks will be available if needed.

How do I dispose of syringes?

The Kalamazoo County Health & Community Services Department offers a free sharps collection service, including syringes and lancets.  No loose sharps or thin plastic containers.  Heavy duty plastic or medical sharps containers only. Kalamazoo County Health & Community Services Department 311 E. Alcott Street Kalamazoo, MI 49001 Phone: (269) 373-5200 Hours: M, T, W, F: … Continued

Can I dispose of unused or expired medication at the police department?

Yes! The Township of Kalamazoo Police Department has a RedMed Box located in the lobby.  RedMed Box is an easy and secure way to dispose of your unused or expired medication. Properly disposing unused and unwanted medications helps to protect the environment. It also helps to protect our community against prescription abuse, addiction, and accidental or … Continued

Can I operate my food truck or trailer in the Township?

Mobile food trucks and trailers used within the Charter Township of Kalamazoo are required to meet certain minimum standards for general safety, according to the Mobile Food Trucks and Trailer Fire Safety Requirements Ordinance. The Kalamazoo Township Fire Prevention Bureau Application for Mobile Food Vehicles can be found at the bottom of the ordinance.

Close window