Police FAQs

How do I sign up for Smart911?

Create a Smart911 Safety Profile and once you have signed up, first responders will be aware of important information you have provided that will help Police, Fire, and EMS locate and help you in an emergency.

What is Smart911?

Smart911 is a service that allows residents to create a free Safety Profile for their household that includes any information they want 9-1-1 and first responders to have in the event of an emergency.

With Smart911, you can provide 9-1-1 call takers and first responders critical information you want them to know in any kind of emergency.

When you call 9-1-1, your Smart911 Safety Profile displays on the 9-1-1 screen and the 9-1-1 call takers can view your addresses, medical information, home information, description of pets and vehicles, and emergency contacts. You can provide as much or as little information as you like.

Smart911 is a national service, meaning your Smart911 Safety Profile travels with you and is visible to any participating 9-1-1 center nationwide.


How do I apply to be a police officer?

You can apply to be a police officer by printing out the application and returning it to the Township of Kalamazoo Police Department at 1720 Riverview Drive.  You may also apply online, print out an application, or request more information about the hiring process.

How do I apply for a Solicitor’s Permit?

To apply for a Solicitor’s Permit, fill out the License Application for Hawkers, Peddlers, Solicitors for Kalamazoo Township and return to the Township of Kalamazoo Police Department.  Your application will be reviewed by the Township Clerk, who will either approve or deny your application.

How do I get a copy of a traffic crash report?

To search for and purchase a copy of a traffic crash report, visit LexisNexis BuyCrash | Home (lexisnexisrisk.com).

How do I file a police report?

To report an emergency, call 9-1-1 immediately.

To report a crime in progress, call 9-1-1.

To request to speak with an officer or to report a non-emergency, please call Non-Emergency Dispatch at (269) 488-8911.

If you would like to provide information about criminal activity anonymously, please contact Silent Observer by calling (269) 343-2100 or submitting a tip online.

How do I request a copy of a police report?

To request a copy of a police report, submit a request under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) to the FOIA Coordinator by emailing foia@ktwp.org or bringing a written request to the Township of Kalamazoo Administrative or Police Offices during business hours.

You may also fill out the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Request Form online.

How do I commend an officer?

If you would like to commend an employee of the Township of Kalamazoo Police Department, please fill out the Officer Commendation Form.  You may also commend an employee by writing a letter to the Chief of Police or the Lieutenant of Support Services at the following address:

Township of Kalamazoo Police Department
1720 Riverview Drive
Kalamazoo, MI 49004

Verbal commendations may be given to any Department supervisor.

Upon submission, your comments will be reviewed by the concerned commanding officer(s), the Chief of Police, and the commended employee.

How do I schedule fingerprinting?

TKPD offers Identix (electronic scan)  and ink fingerprinting services.  Fingerprinting is by APPOINTMENT ONLY. Contact TKPD Records at (269) 567-7523 during business hours to schedule your appointment.

Fees (cash or check only)

Ink Fingerprints:

  • 1st Card $20.00
  • 2nd Card $10.00

Livescan Fingerprints:

  • Employment – $65.00
  • CPL – $15.00

How do I register my firearm?

If you are a Kalamazoo Township resident, turn in your firearm registration to the Kalamazoo County Sheriff’s Department at 1500 Lamont Avenue, Kalamazoo, MI 49048.

If you have additional questions, please click here or contact the Kalamazoo County Sheriff’s Department Records Division at (269) 385-6190.

How can I obtain a background check?

Michigan State Police Internet Criminal History Access Tool (ICHAT) is the only public resource for name-based Michigan criminal history background checks.  Click here for more detailed information.

How do I file a personal protection order (PPO)?

A Personal Protection Order (PPO) is an order from the court that restrains a named individual from certain actions.  Otherwise commonly known as a “restraining order”, a PPO is effective when signed by a judge and served.  Michigan PPOs are enforceable by any law enforcement agency in the country.

A “do-it-yourself” PPO packet, containing instructions and all necessary forms, is available at the Circuit Court Trial Division, Michigan Avenue Courthouse, 227 W. Michigan Avenue, Kalamazoo, MI 49007 (Enter the courthouse through the Church Street entrance, West side of building), 4th Floor, Room 401. Please call 269-385-6081 to schedule an appointment.

For help filling out your PPO packet, contact the Victim Advocate at the Kalamazoo County Prosecutor’s Office or staff members at the YWCA Shelter.

For more detailed information regarding acquisition and enforcement of PPOs, click here.

How do I file a complaint?

The Township of Kalamazoo Police Department accepts and investigates all complaints against our agency or employees to ensure we are providing the best possible service to our community.  If you would like to submit a complaint against the TKPD or any of its employees, please complete the TKPD Complaint Form.  You may also call (269) 567-7523 or stop at the Township of Kalamazoo Police Department during business hours to speak with a supervisor or submit a formal complaint.

How do I request additional traffic enforcement in my neighborhood?

To request additional traffic enforcement in any specific location within the Township, please fill out the Traffic Enforcement Request Form detailing the days of the week and times when your traffic concern is most prevalent.  Once submitted, the Patrol Division Lieutenant will be notified of your request.

Will the police department check on my house for me while I am out of town?

One way to prevent home invasion while you are away from your home for an extended period of time is to request a vacation house check.  To request an officer check on your residence while you are away to ensure your home is secure, please fill out the Vacation House Check Request Form.  Once submitted the Patrol Division Lieutenant will be notified of your request.

Close window